Friday, December 21, 2012

End of The World - Part 23

Still here?

I wonder how many people woke today disappointed.  Disappointed that they still had to go to work, go home, go be themselves.


It's happened before.  Here is an old post  - Coming soon - The End of the World about the End of Days on May 21, 2011

No doubt women and minorities will be hardest hit.

Henry David Thoreau wrote in his little book, Walden's Pond:

Most men, even in this comparatively free country, through mere ignorance and mistake, are so occupied with the factitious cares and superfluously coarse labors of life that its finer fruits cannot be plucked by them.

And:

The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation. What is called resignation is confirmed desperation.

I think Thoreau was on to something. Too many people are caught in a daily routine that leaves them unsatisfied and unhappy. Desperate lives call for desperate solutions. I think a lot of people have a deep down desire that it would just all end.

It takes work, deliberation, and often a crisis to realize the important things in life and the things worth doing.

I’ve experienced all three. I can honestly say I enjoy my life. I like tilting at windmills (and occasionally knocking one over). I like the simple pleasures of cooking, reading, walking the dogs and being with my wife, my family and my friends.

I hope you are happy, too. If you’re not, you can change it.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” - Abraham Lincoln

Individuals can always change.  They don't have to wait for someone else to make it better.  So, if it's not good - go make it better.

First day of winter and it is cold outside.  But, it's warm in here and the daylight/night table has turned.  Every day will start getting sunnier.

1 comment:

  1. I was 3.2 degrees at my house this morning around 7:30. Now it is up to 15 degrees.

    ReplyDelete

All points of view are welcome, but comments with excessive bad language and/or personal attacks will be deleted. Commenting on posts older than 5 days has been disabled.