Saturday, May 4, 2013

Friday Night Lights

I am a big fan of streaming video.  Two services I am familiar with are Netflix and Amazon.  Both offer a great value for about 8 dollars a month.

I've been watching the series Friday Night Lights.  Two nice things about streaming video is the absence of commercials and the ability to watch the series in sequence.

The latter is important as many TV series have an over-riding story arch for each season.

Friday Night Lights, the TV series is based on the non-fiction book and movie of the same name.  It is the story of a small town high school football team.  The coach and his family are the main focus, but the school, players, and the  community  are part of the story.

I skipped the show when it was first televised because I'm not much of a football fan.  I gave it a try because my wife and her family are from Odessa, the real town in the story.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the first season.  It is a football story, but much more than that.  It is a family story that emphasizes work and character.  The team prays before and after games.  Family values are stressed. Effort is rewarded.

Some of the stories are gritty, not all of the characters are saints.  But there is no gratuitous sex or violence, or lazy use of scatological language.

It is a good show - give it a try.

Previous review: Army Wives

No comments:

Post a Comment

All points of view are welcome, but comments with excessive bad language and/or personal attacks will be deleted. Commenting on posts older than 5 days has been disabled.