Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Some luck

Some luck lies in not getting what you thought you wanted but getting what you have, which once you have got it you may be smart enough to see is what you would have wanted had you known.
Garrison Keillor
US humorist and radio broadcaster (1942 - )
The above quotation has long been a favorite of mine.

It came to mind this weekend as I was sitting on the back porch, sipping a glass of wine. My wife was sitting in the chair next to me and my little dog was snoozing at my feet.

I never planned on living in Grand Junction, it was more or less forced on me by employment considerations.

I never planned on being an amateur politician, cook, or writer.

I never planned on having a small dog, let alone two.

I thought marriage might not be a part of my life.

But as luck would have it I ended up in the great little city of Grand Junction. I have had the opportunity to serve on the city council and play the mayor for two years. I've become a pretty fair cook and I've churned out blog posts for the last five years.

The dogs are my constant, loyal companions and I would not wish them to be anything other than what they are - little dogs.

And the best luck was finding the right person to be my wife.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gene,

    The people of the Grand Valley are better off because of your presence here. Thank you for all you do.

    There fixed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again: Norman Rockwell would be proud, such as I'm envious!

    ReplyDelete

All points of view are welcome, but comments with excessive bad language and/or personal attacks will be deleted. Commenting on posts older than 5 days has been disabled.