Monday, June 3, 2013

The Interconnectedness of All Things

Not my fence
Earlier this weekend I slipped through the garden gate one too many times.

The garden/dog pen is an area on the side if the house surrounded by a six foot cedar fence.  The gate latches on a single post set against the house.  That post has become increasingly wobbly even though I've done my best to pretend it wasn't.  (Really -the wobbly gate,  it's not about the post)

So the final time the post just keeled over. 

I got the latch post reset and back in the ground.

But then, the swing of the gate was not right, the fence hit the fencepost.  So I fixed the swing.

And then the latch was in the wrong place. So I cut out additional space on the inset and moved the latch.

Now the post is in the ground, the gate swings correctly and hits the latch perfectly.

It made me think about the phrase - The Interconnectedness of All Things, and not necessarily in a good way. 

I  thought it had something to do with Buddhism so I looked it up.  There were lots of references to the Buddha and New Age stuff.  But right at the top was this:

Dirk Gently (born Svlad Cjelli, also known as Dirk Cjelli) is a fictional character created by Douglas Adams and featured in the books Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul. He is portrayed as a pudgy man who normally wears a heavy old light brown suit, red checked shirt with a green striped tie, long leather coat, red hat and thick metal-rimmed spectacles
--
Dirk bills himself as a "holistic detective" who makes use of "the fundamental interconnectedness of all things" to solve the whole crime, and find the whole person. This involves running up large expense accounts and then claiming that every item (such as needing to go to a tropical beach in the Bahamas for three weeks) was, as a consequence of this "fundamental interconnectedness", actually a vital part of the investigation. Challenged on this point in the first novel, he claims that he cannot be considered to have ripped anybody off, because none of his clients have ever paid him. His office is supposed to be located at 33a Peckender St. N1 London.
The Dirk Gently books are among my favorites.  I know you are probably wondering what this has got to do with my gate. It's actually a vital part of the story as it relates to "the fundamental interconnectedness of all things"...  Hello, June

1 comment:

  1. I kind of gathered that the photo was not of your fence, but is it your gate?

    ReplyDelete

All points of view are welcome, but comments with excessive bad language and/or personal attacks will be deleted. Commenting on posts older than 5 days has been disabled.