Thursday, November 14, 2013

Just Words

Hubris, Nemesis, Narcissus, Schadenfreude

Hubris - Excessive pride, presumption or arrogance

"Don’t tell me that words don’t matter."  Barack Obama

"And that means that no matter how we reform health care, we will keep this promise: If you like your doctor, you will be able to keep your doctor. Period. If you like your health care plan, you will be able to keep your health care plan. Period. No one will take it away. No matter what."
Barack Obama

Nemesis - in Greek mythology, a spirit of divine retribution against those who succumb to hubris. She's the one who did in Narcissus

Obamacare Schadenfreudarama   -  Jonah Goldberg - read the whole thing.
Alas, the English language is not well equipped to capture the sensation I’m describing, which is why we must all thank the Germans for giving us the term “schadenfreude” — the joy one feels at the misfortune or failure of others. The primary wellspring of schadenfreude can be attributed to Barack Obama’s hubris — another immigrant word, which means a sinful pride or arrogance that causes someone to believe he has a godlike immunity to the rules of life.

If you can’t take some joy, some modicum of relief and mirth, in the unprecedentedly spectacular beclowning of the president, his administration, its enablers, and, to no small degree, liberalism itself, then you need to ask yourself why you’re following politics in the first place. Because, frankly, this has been one of the most enjoyable political moments of my lifetime. I wake up in the morning and rush to find my just-delivered newspaper with a joyful expectation of worsening news so intense, I feel like Morgan Freeman should be narrating my trek to the front lawn.

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely the best thing I will read today... maybe this month! I too am sitting with the popcorn on my lap as I watch this thing dissolve, no, Implode, upon itself. While I lament what Jonah opens his piece with, I am taking absolute joy in the unfolding disaster... thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete

All points of view are welcome, but comments with excessive bad language and/or personal attacks will be deleted. Commenting on posts older than 5 days has been disabled.